As you will be collecting rent for your investor owners you will need a Resident Letting Agent’s Licence (Queensland) or an On-Site Resident Property Manager’s Licence (NSW) to own and operate Management Rights.

This is a special type of Real Estate licence enabling you to collect rent for properties within a nominated complex.  It was formerly known as a “restricted” Letting Agent’s Licence.

In order to obtain your licence you will need to undertake specific training.  This involves studying several Real Estate training modules, then passing simple tests to confirm your understanding and competency.

The relevant Queensland modules are:

  • CPPDSM-4010A Lease Property
  • CPPDSM-4015A Minimise Agency and Consumer Risk
  • CPPDSM-4007A Identify Legal and Ethical Requirements of Property Management
  • CPPDSM-4006A Establish and Manage Agency Trust Accounts
  • CPPDSM-4016A Monitor and Manage Lease/Tenancy Agreements
  • BSBSMB-406A Manage Small Business Finance

The relevant NSW modules are:

  • CPPDSM3019A Communicate with Clients as Part of an Agency
  • CPPDSM4080A Work in the Real Estate Industry
  • CPPDSM4005A Establish and Build Client/Agency Relationships
  • CPPDSM4006A Establish and Manage Agency Trust Accounts
  • CPPDSM4007A Identify Legal and Ethical Requirements of Property Management to Complete Agency Work
  • CPPDSM4010A Lease Property
  • CPPDSM4015A Minimise Agency and Consumer Risk
  • CPPDSM4016A Monitor and Manage Lease of Tenancy Agreement
  • BSBRKG3048  Maintain Business Records
  • BSBLED401A  Develop Teams and Individuals

There are various ways to study for your licence and special courses are provided by approved Training Providers.

The Queensland Legislation relating to the licence is the Property Agents and Motor Dealers Act (PAMDA).  The office responsible for the Act in Queensland is The Office of Fair Trading.  When you have successfully completed the training, you can make your application for a Resident Letting Agent’s Licence which takes approximately eight weeks to process and involves various checks by the Government including criminal history.

Note: You need a Letting Agreement from the Body Corporate to finalise the application process for your Resident Letting Agent’s Licence.

Training Providers

You can attend classroom courses which run from 1 to 2 weeks, depending on the course content and training provider.  Alternatively, you may choose to complete the training remotely or on-line.  We recommend that you visit the following web sites to determine which Training Provider can offer the solution that suits you.


Complete Property Training College 1300 281 289

REIQ Brisbane 07 3249 6275

REIQ Gold Coast 07 5527 1614

New South Wales

Australian College of Professionals 02 9659 4699

REINSW 02 9264 2343

TAFE NSW 131 601

Management Rights Articles


    The current NSW Strata Schemes Management Act 1996 will shortly be replaced by new legislation which has introduced a novel concept of a “tenant representative” who will sit on the Executive Committee of the Owners Corporation.

Visit Us

Contact Us